Posted by: CSHoldsworth on Aug 15, 2011
Tagged in: Sculpture , plaster , photography , nature , landscape , Land Art , installation , hybrid , clay , bones , artistic , art artist artwork oils oilpainting landscapes sea , art , animal
For me 'Hagwood Installation' is a piece of work about another piece of work I had made. Originally I had created the item above influenced by the artist Chris Drury. The piece consists of two found sheep bones bolted together to resemble pliers. After they had served their purpose it was left redundant and of no use, which I felt was a misuse of a creatures former bones. Using another creatures bones never sat well with me and to just discard them after their use felt wrong too. I therefore decided to re-use the bones one last time, with the idea in mind that I could return them to their original resting place from which I found them.
I began to reuse the original bones by casting them in clay and pouring plaster in to the left over moulds. The process had a very archaeological feel to it, with the way that every time I removed the clay, I began to unveil what felt like undiscovered and odd bones. This was a factor I'd hope to capture in the end product. After a while of casting these new 'bones', I began to piece them together and what formed seemed to be a cross between sheep and human bones. I felt that through the sheep bones I had used and the influence from myself, I had formed an almost hybrid of the two species. This new 'Hybrid' was a successful representation of the journey the original bones and I undertaken.
As I stated previously, I wanted to bring the original bones back to the location I found them, to put them to rest. As well as placing the original bones back from where they came, I wanted to place the new hybrid there to, as a way of signifying the journey they had been on. The bones were embedded into the clay beneath were I placed the plaster bones. I had the idea to take this sculpture to where I had originally found the bones.
The sculpture was far to big however and could not be taken to where I intended it to be. Placing the bones in clay was unnessacary for the idea I had and would of worked better leaving it as it was. I had to find a new location which could work well and still be relevent to the piece, I chose a rumoured burial site close to where I live. The piece didn't work well in this location, it didn't have the 'archaeological dig' I had hoped for, but more of a grave. I left the bones there for a week. When I returned they had been smashed. I salvaged what I could from the 'Hybrids' bones and took the original bones too.
This mishap was what ended up making the piece successful. Although a lot of the 'hybrid' bones had been smashed, the salvaged bones were adequate enough to form the 'Hybrid' again. I took the remaining and original bones to where I had first found them and where I first intended them to be placed. To capture the archaeological element I wanted, I dug a foot down into the earth. I placed the sculpture in the position that fit best then placed the original bones next to it. This also worked better as the passing viewer/traveller should get a better idea of what it is they are seeing, or at least it should raise more questions and thoughts than where it was placed before.
I wanted ensure the viewer doesn't mistake the 'Hybrid' bones for anything other than the plaster sculpture it is. Over the top I placed a plastic pane and covered the outskirts of the piece with surrounding soil. The camera captures more reflection then there really is. With the added plastic it feels like the wood has become a museum for these bones for passing walkers to investigate.
'Hagwood Hybrid Installation' (Final Resting Place)