Total Art Soul - for artists

" Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. "
Charles C. Finn
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Wondering about watermarks
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Wondering about watermarks
Wondering about watermarks 7 Years, 9 Months ago  
Hi everyone! A newbie here...just wondering if i should have a watermark on my photos when uploading to the gallery? I have a watermark on all my photos on my Facebook "fan" page due to fears I have about trying to protect my work. I'm not really sure the right way to go about all of this is. I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer

Thank you sooo much! peace, jessica
inspiremedaisy
inspiremedaisy
www.facebook.com/inspiremedaisy
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wondering about watermarks 7 Years, 9 Months ago  
It's a personal choice Jessica. If you feel better having it, then just do it. It's important to protect your work.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:Wondering about watermarks 7 Years, 3 Months ago  
Jessica, I am trying to break the habit of using watermarks on small images online on Etsy and Artfire. I only upload images that are 72dpi, which is not anything that could be printed well. If I were loading high res images to a gallery for client viewing, it would be a different story.

Any more thoughts on this? I'd love to hear from others about how you feel re. watermarking your low-res images.
bbrunophotography
bbrunophotography
bbrunophotography.etsy.com
graphgraph

I don't put watermarks on any of my online images - if they're sufficiently discreet that they don't significantly distract from the image, they serve no useful purpose (generally easily removed with Photoshop).

For smaller images too there's little reason to try to protect them. (That's small as in number of pixels, not a low dpi number! The dpi number is totally irrelevant - its just a field in the jpeg file specification that has to have a number in it. At most it may be used by a print program as a hint to what size it should be printed in the absence of any other instructions, in general it just serves to mislead people into thinking it is something that is significant.)

In practice I believe there advantages in allowing people to copy images with some restrictions - see Using creative commons licencing for art and photography
efikim
efikim
www.mikefinley.co.uk
graphgraph
\"Tolerating mediocrity is deadly. It might be the sin that underlies all other sins.\" - Mikaya Heart
Mike Finley Photography
My blogs: Selected Artworks, Words

Hi Mike!

I agree that smaller size pics aren't really an issue. I wouldn't upload a higher res image to the web without a watermark, though. As for dpi,(because I do believe dpi matters), try enlarging a lowly 72dpi 5x7 image to a 12x18 and printing it. You'll have so many blown-out pixels, the photo won't be recognizable. To upload a higher dpi print (even in a smaller size) is to invite someone to enlarge and print. Just my thoughts.

I
bbrunophotography
bbrunophotography
bbrunophotography.etsy.com
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/11/10 14:48 By bbrunophotography.

There's a lot of muddled terminology on the internet

A 5x7 image does have a certain number of pixels per inch when printed, determined by how many pixels are in the source file. (dots are the spots of ink that the printer puts on the page to show the image, and dots per inch the resolution of the ink spot placement)

A jpeg image file doesn't have any physical linear dimensions, so the ppi/dpi field has no real meaning.

You are right that a file that prints at 72ppi at 7x5 inches will look poorer when printed at 10x8 inches, but its no longer being printed at 72 ppi, but at approximately 50 ppi ... but the file itself hasn't changed, it still has the same number of pixels, and that field in the file still says 72ppi/dpi.

A file that prints 30"x20" at 72ppi will look much better printed at 10x8 than the file that prints 7"x5" at 72ppi, because it has far more pixels in it. Its the number of pixels that matter, not the quoted ppi/dpi in the file.

(and yes, I know 7x5, 10x8, 30x20 aren't all the same shape, but thats imperial/American standard sizes for you! European sizes are more sensible, except the dimensions are too hard to remember!)
efikim
efikim
www.mikefinley.co.uk
graphgraph
\"Tolerating mediocrity is deadly. It might be the sin that underlies all other sins.\" - Mikaya Heart
Mike Finley Photography
My blogs: Selected Artworks, Words

Go to topPage: 1
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.