Total Art Soul - for artists

" When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. "
Henry Kaiser
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

So why do we do it?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234...6
TOPIC: So why do we do it?
So why do we do it? 6 Years, 10 Months ago  
I'm curious about everyones real motivations for the work they do.

Do you have a passion for a specific medium or subject matter?

Are you just driven to create something, anything!

For me (the beardless half of gringrimaceandsqueak here) I love working in black and white, concentrating on the textures of my subject. I'm a detail nut so it suits my chosen images too, showing off the finest lines that I think would be lost in colour.

I'm a sod for coloured glass so our mask work gives me a splendid excuse to order heaps of glowing beads and wire.

My third line of work is the fantasy stuff for want of a better word, these are the things that turn up of their own accord and make themselves at home. We've learnt to live with them. I think I'd have them whether I was an artist or not, the drawing bit is incidental.

How about you?
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
www.etsy.com/shop/DrawingInDark
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: So why do we do it? 6 Years, 10 Months ago  
Great subject grinnie, thanks for posting.

Like you, I'm also a details nut. I also like to do anything that would drive most people to distraction. I'm not spending enough time on my work yet, so that's what I'm working on, bigger and more detailed stuff.

I went to visit a painting yesterday in a church that dates back to 1520 by an unknown artist. It was religious of course but the detail in the fabric was mind-blowing. Literally every fiber of their gowns had been painted meticulously. Their jewels shined like they were stuck on but this was simply achieved by good highlighting. It was very inspiring and has motivated me a lot.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:So why do we do it? 6 Years, 10 Months ago  
Scaling up is one of my projects for this year too- its tempting when working in detail to keep things small but I'm going to be brave and do at least one really big piece this year- I have a photograph of a dragonfruit which is beautiful, and one enormous sheet of paper.

I often find it difficult to start a piece, so I tend to set it up the day before. Somehow being able to sit straight down and make that first mark on the paper sets me up for the rest of the day.

I've really enjoyed watching your work change over the last few months, it's fascinating watching the evolution of someone elses work.

Keep it up
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
graphgraph

Cathy, I think it's because you put soooo much into this site! I think you need a lil 'you' time. It wont hurt to take a few days here and there to paint! We wont break anything! =)

I love jewelry - I didn't always wear it because I didn't have money to dress up or nothing to really dress up too - however I looooooved eyeballing it and all the different kind of designs. I love sci-fi, fantasy and medieval type shows so I sometimes get cravings to make something that isn't your average jewelry. Perhaps something I could picture in a fantasy world from one of the books I read, or just something someone would wear to cosplay.

I've always wanted to go to those conventions, and there are so many of them for different things and friends would show off their outfits....and I can't sew so I'd be totally jealous that a) they can go and b) they can make a cool outfit!

Recently I was thinking...'how can I make something that would kind of be like an 'outfit' but without sewing?" so I came to the realization that I could make arm bands and cuffs and collars and 'maybe' elaborate and big headdresses (sticking to the small stuff right now) with artistic wire - something i've fallen in love with. So lately I've been playing with that idea and testing out how to make them and keep them snug and secure.

But then I'll have this awesome cosplay/fantasy accessories and I wont have anything to wear them too...so I'll just drool over it on my shelf, lol!

I have always been an open minded person so I like a bit of everything. I'm weird that way. I'll listen to all forms of music, I'll watch all types of movies, I'll wear all kinds of clothing styles..and so coming from an artsy background I find it soooo hard to just limit myself to 'one' style. I enjoy everything. I want to try and do everything. I get bored with repetition and so I've found that I like playing with artistic wire the most because each piece you make is 'always' going to be different.

I regret that my chronic depression got so bad when I was in high school that I did not devote more of me into the Art classes and learned to paint more decently and expand in my drawing....Jewelry was a way I felt I could put my creativity to work since I know I can't be that 'awesome painter' and maybe make some money from it one day (besides my writing).

I think this giant post explains why I do it!
Sahetah
Sahetah
www.etsy.com/shop/Sahetah
graphgraph
Check out my Jewelry! www.etsy.com/shop/Sahetah

Do you mean my work grinnie? Do you feel it's changed? I do feel more focused now and seem to have more of an idea of where I'm going with it. I can't wait to see one of your larger works. I bet that detail will be awesome blown up. I know that feeling of starting, I often sit entire days trying to pluck up the courage and then feel guilty for wasting time! lol

Sahetah, thank you. I love working on this site and seeing what you're all up to so it's not really a chore. I think it's lovely how you're being creative in difficult circumstances and it just shows that if you're born to do it, you will, no matter what.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Hi Cathy, yes, I was talking about yours, it's been really interesting to see you experimenting with what you do, pushing your familiar boundaries to bring your work on

Sahetah, it's often the case that the things we most want to do are the hardest - don't feel your jewellery is a lesser thing than the art you'd like to create, it's amazing how much you learn about focus, consistency, proportion, all things that apply to painting and drawing as well You're just teaching yourself, something a lot of us here have done. Never say never
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234...6
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.