Total Art Soul - for artists

" Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement. "
C. S. Lewis
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Where do you start?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Where do you start?
Where do you start? 6 Years, 7 Months ago  
Possibly this question should be 'how do you start?' If you're anything like me, the biggest challenge is always deciding what to tackle next.

I rarely go back to a subject, though i may continue a theme, as drawing for me is all about studying what is around me, undertstanding texture, light and shade.

I'm always looking for something in my subjects that i haven't dealt with before. I work from photographs i have taken - my current battle is with the crows living by our house- I want to capture them in carbon but they are smart birds and know I'm watching- still trying to get that perfect shot!

What made you choose your current/next piece of work ?
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
www.etsy.com/shop/DrawingInDark
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where do you start? 6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hello Nalysale

I have to spend a lot of tiime studying anatomy for some of my work so photos often provide information not available any other way. I think it all depends how much detail you wnat to get into- its always a moment, a movement or the second the light is just so on something that captures me but to me the joy of modern digital photography is that we can stretch that second and see how it works.

Remember the paintings of racehorses with their legs outstretched so they looked like rocking horses? No-one knew how they ran, they moved too quickly. I'm now driving myself barmy by trying to describe the movement of sun across a birds feather

Have fun, whatever you're all doing
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
www.etsy.com/shop/DrawingInDark
graphgraph

Re: Where do you start? 6 Years, 3 Months ago  
I like to paint people and animals. I love going to zoos and taking wonderful pictures using a big zoom camera, and then going home and painting them.
Right now I'm actually working on a project for my Uncle. He wants me to paint the Norwood Dairy that his Dad and he worked at. Generally, I'm not a building painter. But I've been having fun painting this one, maybe because it was a challenge.
When I get a certain idea in my mind....say, a story I want to tell in a picture, I usually look everywhere for pictures of what I want in my painting.....background, props, people, buildings, certain skies, then I collaborate it all together into one painting.
My "A Swamp Day" painting was done using many pictures I took at the Chattanooga Aquarium. I put them together to make a painting of a young alligator in a swamp. It was pretty cool.
MeadowSongArts
MeadowSongArts
www.etsy.com/shop/MeadowSongArts
graphgraph
I'm a Christian artist of Lincolnton, North Carolina. I enjoy painting animals and people the most. My favorite artist is Norman Rockwell. I've been inspired and "critiqued" by his works ever since I came across him; and so I'm always striving for more perfect detail.

Yup, that is about how I do it too. I also take a lot of pics of models. I also created files of things I've found in magazines. I have files for hands, feet, eyes, vintage clothing, on and on. It is a great reference tool for when I get stuck.
KathysArt
KathysArt
www.kathyostman-magnusen.com
graphgraph

"the movement of sun across a birds feather" ... ohh I look forward to seeing that!
KathysArt
KathysArt
www.kathyostman-magnusen.com
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.