Total Art Soul - for artists

" I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you "
(unknown)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

My Process ~ One Style Meets the Next
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: My Process ~ One Style Meets the Next
My Process ~ One Style Meets the Next 2 Years, 6 Months ago  
I paint and sculpt in a lot of different series, each one unique to itself. I used to paint a lot of realism and have a few different series in realism, but I've grown tired of that and to me it feels like tedious rendering. I feel that realism in drawing, and drawing constantly, is essential though. The reason we draw is to keep our eye sharp, so it stands to reason that would best be done with realism.

After I finished the last painting in my "Victorian Series", which was painted in realism primarily, I thought to myself, what if I don't modulate that colors with my next painting. Sooo I didn't and thus developed the style I have now. It is much freer and expressive now I think. By painting in a impressionistic style it is easier to show movement and energy.

My process is first deciding what I am going to paint or sculpt. I paint women primarily so I have my base lol. I normally go through my sketchbooks to see what ideas I have come up with in the past. I do "idea sessions", pouring though pics of models I have photographed in the past, magazines and my art library. When I do an idea session I spend hours, one idea leading to the next. I started this process when I painted my "In Search of Klimt" series. I have a sketchbook referring just to that series and still have ideas unpainted. Gads! I need to get busy on that come to think of it. smile.

Happy day to all.. I know I was rambling a bit here but that is my way of going through the process to come up with new ideas. Attached is one of my "In Search of Klimt" paintings, "Bed of Dreams", which is in a gallery in New York. YAY.
KathysArt
KathysArt
www.kathyostman-magnusen.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My Process ~ One Style Meets the Next 2 Years, 6 Months ago  
Great work sir.
pencilportrait1
pencilportrait1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91W8DBbsmc
graphgraph

Re:My Process ~ One Style Meets the Next 2 Years, 6 Months ago  
Funny isn't it how we go back to ideas and turn them into something new- it might take years sometimes to find the right way of expressing something but the best ideas always come out eventually. Great to see your work progress- keep sharing
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
www.etsy.com/shop/DrawingInDark
graphgraph

Re: My Process ~ One Style Meets the Next 2 Years, 5 Months ago  
Thanks for sharing some insight into your work...very cool.
Also - CONGRATS on the painting being in a New York Gallery...How freaking cool is that!!!
Cagneyk
Cagneyk
www.cagneyking.com
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog