Total Art Soul - for artists

" Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. "
Pablo Picasso
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1...9101112
TOPIC: Pencil Drawing
Re:Pencil Drawing 3 Years, 10 Months ago  
Truly impressive works, and a solid appreciation for the painstaking effort required to achieve such a level of fine detail. I'm still a little short on getting my skill to the next plateau, but it's closer.

One of the most significant tips I remember coming across years ago (though it sort of ruffled my feathers at the time) was how to keep a drawing from looking "cartoonish." I think it was the term that got me miffed, but in retrospect I have to admit it was accurate.

What I learned was instead of trying to emphasize the edges of objects with a definitive line, develop what's behind the object and let the background define the contours/shape of objects closer to the foreground. This is probably *the* biggest step you can make in advancing from two dimensional to three dimensional rendering (or at least it has been for me).

Again, impressive works and great motivation for me to get back to doing some more pencil/charcoal works. The true flat black of charcoal pencils really contributes great deal of depth without the reflective distraction of pure graphite.
Obsidianram
Obsidianram
www.zazzle.com/obsidianram*
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Pencil Drawing 3 Years, 9 Months ago  
Really stunning! I love this work, you are very talented. I can't believe it is just pencil, it is gorgeous.

How do you like this piece? Working quite large, I've been trying to loosen up large areas of my drawings, keeping the finer details to the most important part of the subject. I haven't tried water and reflections very often with pencil and in this one I wanted a misty effect (as it's hot water). Heaven In Hell's Valley is a snow monkey or Japanese macaque which are known for spending a lot of time in hot volcanic pools. It's about 22 x 16 inches pencil on Stonehenge paper.
MightyFineArt
MightyFineArt
www.mightyfineart.co.uk
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/10/16 10:36 By MightyFineArt.
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

www.mightyfineart.co.uk

I think you've captured the misty effect very well, but for me the best part is the way you've shown his fur dripping wet as he surfaces from the water - it's fantastic.

I don't think there are many of your pieces that I could criticise for technique, and I just look forward to seeing each one.
Aitch
Aitch
www.helendavison.co.uk
graphgraph

Perfectly rendered MightyFineArt. The shimmer of steam on the water , the detail in the head to the dripping wet fur.

Fantastic job.
DorsArt
DorsArt
dorsart.blogspot.com/
graphgraph

I am not sure I see the steam, but the drawing is incredible, it looks better than a photo!

Go to topPage: 1...9101112
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog