Total Art Soul - for artists

" I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me "
Isaac Newton
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Formal Art Training or Self Taught
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...13141516
TOPIC: Formal Art Training or Self Taught
Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 8 Years, 3 Months ago  
There were isms and now it's a free-for-all, which breeds confusion, but also allows one the freedom to do as one pleases. I am presently reading a book called Seven Days in the Art World by Sarah Thorton. This is exactly what the present day art world is all about...

As a young artist it is difficult not to get swept up into all of that...

I often cannot help, but think of my work as a commodity, because I wish to make my living off of what I already do... The thought of having a regular job is absolutely repulsive! I feel strongly that I was put on this earth to be the creative individual that I am and I wish to share this with everyone! However, I will not sacrifice my integrity to fulfill some random art world ideal... I'm going to give it a go and if it doesn't work out then at least I tried and maintained my integrity... :O)

BTW, thank you for your wonderful responses!
laforc26
laforc26
www.heatherlaforce.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

They say that you always regret the things you don't do more than the things you do. To die having tried than to die never knowing would be infinitely better.

Someone said to me recently that the art world is in crisis. That with the age of digital photography, there is no longer a need to paint/draw realistically and that this has caused artists to have to think very differently.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Painting is forever engaged in a cycle of death and rebirth; however, I feel very strongly that since the advent of photography and other digital media that painting has become ever more important. A painting reflects the artist hand as well as a sense of tactility that images cannot provide.

I enjoy the challenges that these realities present; however, I do believe that there also exists a lot of BS for lack of better terminology. :O)
laforc26
laforc26
www.heatherlaforce.com
graphgraph

Yes, good ol' BS! I've heard/seen my fair share.

I like realistic paintings because it shows skill and this is what I look for in modern art too. I really don't go in for splashes of paint or a blank canvas. Personally, I like to see some kind of feeling being portrayed and some skill in the application of the paint. But that's just me.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 8 Years, 2 Months ago  
Hi... new here, but thought this was a good thread to jump in on.

For the artist who's daughter is into anime... my oldest daughter is 19. She draws the anime style very well. She's taught herself over the past 10+ years. Her work is at moonwhing.deviantart.com. She uses a lot of photos on deviantart by another artist who posts reference photos of herself in many different positions. A few basic art anatomy books may help her get the basics.

As for me, I am also self-taught. In first grade, I was criticized by my teacher for drawing a blue sun, and ever since I haven't had much to say to art teachers. I had one good drawing teacher at a community college for one class, though we spent more time on art history than really drawing. I liked his teaching style, however. I've been drawing ever since I could pick up a pencil, though I only started painting 5 years ago. I am trying to make more of a name for myself now.
tonicreatesart
tonicreatesart
tonicreatesart.wordpress.com
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/08/09 04:31 By tonicreatesart.

Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 8 Years, 2 Months ago  
Hi and welcome to TAS. Glad you found us. I love the drawing in your profile image. The light injected is excellent. Very much looking forward to seeing much more.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Go to topPage: 1...13141516
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.