Total Art Soul - for artists

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art "
Albert Einstein
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Formal Art Training or Self Taught
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...13141516
TOPIC: Formal Art Training or Self Taught
Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
I've read quickly through most of the this thread and the general impression I get is that I'm in the minority on this one, but I am academically trained and I love it! In fact, my "day job" aspirations are to become a college professor myself.

I don't think the training makes the artist though; it's your passion and your drive, your desire to experiment and push yourself that make someone an artist, in my opinion.

For me, I love the community of art school. I love working in class with people and being able to debate and discuss with and critique each other. I love most of the professors I've encountered and their knowledge and experience. The whole environment, just being in a world completely dedicated to loving and creating art (I was not raised in such a home; to the contrary, my parents discouraged me from pursuing art) is so wonderful!

I do agree that a lot of stuff that's getting attention that's coming out of my ageset (the 20 somethings) is meh. I don't know that it's the fault of the art schools per se, because I also see some very sophisticated work coming from some of my peers. I think it has more to do with current cultural perceptions of art and technology than what art schools are teaching.
ManDuh
ManDuh
www.mandabrezicky.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I agree about the drive and passion making the artist!

I mentioned that I attend adult classes at an art school that is also an upstate affiliate of Pratt Art Institute - a well know school in NYC. We were snooping in the studio next to ours and it looked like the Pratt students were doing self portraits. Every single one of them was so dark and full of dispair. It was very sad to see.

I will stick with my bright colors and fun compostions thank you very much
artbylmr
artbylmr
www.artbylmr.com
graphgraph
The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it.
::: Banksy :::
www.artbylmr.com

Much as I moan about living in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, I must say that reading these posts, I've realized that as an artist, it has meant that I'm not really influenced by anything because I don't see anything! lol Only online but then I don't spend that much time looking at other people's work except here on TAS. It's made me realize that being so insular has meant that I totally do my own thing. It's not all bad after all!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re: Formal Art Training or Self Taught 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
razet93
razet93
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/01/20 16:32 By joe.

Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 4 Years, 11 Months ago  
ashdrawsthings
ashdrawsthings
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/01/20 16:30 By joe.

Re: Formal Art Training or Self Taught 3 Years ago  
Is the plate your work or your mothers? I love the abstract portrait, if that is your work, you are on to something, no formal training needed,!
tjCervantesArt
tjCervantesArt
tjcervantesart.com/
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1...13141516
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.