Total Art Soul - for artists

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art "
Albert Einstein
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Should an artist develope just one " STYLE "
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...3456
TOPIC: Should an artist develope just one " STYLE "
Re:Should an artist develope just one " STYLE " 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
I apologize Jen for not making my point clearly. What I meant was if you are making some money through a gallery [ and the gallery is as well ] they will be reluctant to let you change your style. The artist can then be feel trapped. [ Stifle creativity ]. The artist can of course choose to leave the gallery and explore other areas.
thinkirishart
thinkirishart
www.stephendigginart.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I said before that it's imperative that artists find the right gallery that works for them. I think it's tempting for some artists to try and do work that fits in with the gallery rather than find a gallery that fits in with their work.

I can't believe that after all I've said about galleries and not really wanting to go after that any more, I was approached today by a gallery not that far from me. They actually liked all of my work so maybe this set up will work for me. I'm having a meeting so we will see.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Hey Cathy thats brill. Hope the meeting goes your way. Fingers crossed etc...
thinkirishart
thinkirishart
www.stephendigginart.com
graphgraph

No apologies necessary TIA and thanks for the clarification.

Good Luck Cathy! That's wonderful - I hope it works out well for you.
JenDonald
JenDonald
www.jendonald.com
graphgraph

Come on Cathy. Did you have the meeting yet ??????
I've no nails left!
thinkirishart
thinkirishart
www.stephendigginart.com
graphgraph

My view on galleries is that there are sooo many, especially in more urban areas, that if one doesn't like your work or the direction you feel you need to go in you can just find a new gallery. Also, like has already been mentioned, there's the internet. I don't think online should replace physical galleries (frankly, I kind of hate looking at art online because I never know how the colors in my monitor to the camera used to take the picture or the artists' photography abilities have affected the colors in the piece).

Because I haven't seen it brought up yet, I want to offer my experience in regards to art school. The question of whether or not art colleges teach students a certain style is: It depends on the school. I've personally been in two different college's art programs and have anecdotal information from friends about another half dozen or so others.

The first school I went to, where I got my associate's degree from, we were taught a whole lot of technique and mechanics, the best ways to use various media, and ABOUT different artists' styles. There was a whole lot of encouraging us to critique and talk with each other about our work, to use found objects and unusual media and to find our own style. One professor told me that if we were trying to do someone else's style that made us art forgers, not artists.

So, then I transferred to another school. Complete 180. There were a total of 2 professors I encountered (out of 7 different art classes) who were nurturing and encouraging. The rest were disinterested and just wanted us to reproduce THEIR work. One especially arrogant guy (who was also my advisor...I really struck out at that college) tried to tell me and another girl that because we took our previous drawing courses at community colleges we probably weren't up to his photo-realistic standards and we should re-take drawing 2. I left that school after one year.

The first school I went to is, in the regional (and a little bit national) art community thought of as the best and strongest art program in the area (only problem is that it's a 2 year school, so no BFAs). The second school is nationally accredited for some of its programs, but it has no respect in the art community and local community colleges are actively dissuading people from transferring there. When friends have told me about why they've left such and such school, their complaints sound similar to my issues with school #2.

So, long answer short, lol, good art schools encourage students to find their own style and their own voice. Bad art schools try to pigeonhole students into one thing or the other. Problem is, it's hard to know which a school is until you actually start taking classes.
ManDuh
ManDuh
www.mandabrezicky.com
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1...3456
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.