Total Art Soul - for artists

" Happiness is presently unavailable in the shops "
anon
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

a crazy thought and really not sure
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: a crazy thought and really not sure
a crazy thought and really not sure 7 Years, 11 Months ago  
I've recently inherited MANY large, beautiful frames. These were from a business and the frames are filled with foam core board with advertisements printed on them.

Now.... here's my thought. I read that you CAN paint (acrylic) on foam core board if you seal it with gesso first. Instead of the HUGE expense of custom canvases to fit into the frames...

Should I paint on the foam core board, then pop the new painting back into the frame? Anyone tried it? Would it be marketable?
JenDonald
JenDonald
www.jendonald.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:a crazy thought and really not sure 7 Years, 11 Months ago  
I'd be afraid to do it!
Foamcore just doesn't seem that stable a surface. I'm not sure how long-lasting it is either. It seems to me to have too much flex - especially in a big size. And every large piece of fomecore I've ever had has always warped over time.

Can you stretch your own canvases? Stretcher bars and canvas by the roll is economical. Or what about having some kind of hardboard cut? It might get pretty heavy though if it is really big.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
debbieshirley
debbieshirley
www.DebbieShirley.com
graphgraph

Re:a crazy thought and really not sure 7 Years, 5 Months ago  
Hello, Now here's a subject I can discuss! I stay on the lookout for good-looking frames, or ones I know I can faux finish into looking great for my paintings all the time.
I realize you may be inclined to use the foam board as it fits well, and a stretched canvas may stick out the back side too much. So! What I do is cut a sheet of masonite, which is very thin, and fit it exactly into the frame. Paint on ther masonite instead of the foam board, as it is basically a wooden panel, will hold great no problem for ..... a century?! nPrep your masonite board as you would a canvas, white gesso/latex paint /whatever.
Cool, good luck! ~Aimee
Aimeshad
Aimeshad
www.aimeehad.com
graphgraph

You could also put in hardboard or marine plywood (slightly heavier). I work on these a lot and also use old frames sometimes.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

I think it would be a shame to waste all that foam core board, though, wouldn't it? Why not just try one to begin with?

I would definitely have a go at painting on it with acrylic - you can generally paint on most surfaces with it and there's no reason the foam core board would not last as long as a surface such as hardboard - as long as you've got a decent backing board behind it, too.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with this!
Aitch
Aitch
www.helendavison.co.uk
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.