Posted by: gringrimaceandsqueak
on Dec 03, 2011
We've been having a bit of a sort out here at Grin Hq, working through stock and deciding where to list which pieces. We try and avoid having all the same things on all our selling platforms and tailor what we are selling to the customers it brings in. This does however means we take a lot of different photos.
For our own UK website, it's the big stuff mostly and we can be a bit more creative with pictures, especially those on the front page. Some time ago, we did some shots of our carnivale masks to show them as luxury items using coloured backgrounds and some basic props -feathers etc, to add a touch of glamour. It's amazing what can be done just with a few bits and pieces you have lying around.
If you're stuck for extras, putting in packaging can make an image more interesting and shows the customer how much care you take with their purchase. We use gorgeous magnetic closure boxes from Midpac, in black of course, with some tissue to protect the mask.
For those initial thumbnails on sites like Etsy, we use a light background and are relaunching our tiaras using our mannequin head with a wig and, for extra height, one of Ms Grins' hair falls. Much easier and quicker than getting all dolled up for a model shoot- just plonk the wig on, clip on the extension and there you have it :)
Not only does is give a sense of scale, important for selling online, but it show the item as it could be worn and looks a whole lot more exciting than one lonely piece by itself.
If you're a seller like us, have some fun with your photos - it really does make all the difference :)
Posted by: gringrimaceandsqueak
on Apr 04, 2011
For a while now we've know we needed to get more modelled shots of our products but what with one thing and another, doing a live shoot has been put off. We decided to find an alternative that didn't mean doing hair and makeup every time we created something new, would look good and enable us to list straight away.
The solution came via a friend on Etsy who showed us their mannequin head which they had bought cheaply and decorated. A bit of research turned up a selection for about five pounds apiece, male and female, so we ordered one of each.
As you can see, it was obviously polystyrene, had seams showing and generally not very glam. So, we used a homemade paste of flour, water and sugar to glue strips of white tissue, gradually building up the layers until we had a light texture we liked and had covered any unsightly bits. To protect it further we then painted it with acrylic in a creamy colour which toughened it further and made it wipe clean (essential when taking photos in the kitchen!)
Our original product shots looked like this- very nice and everything but a bit hard to tell how it would look on.
Now, they look like this- not only do they now show how the mask fits but by happy accident, the creamy colour of the heads has solved the white balance issues we were having, where the background sheet, which is white, would come up yellow or blue depending on the light source.
So, for all those jewellers/hat knitters out there who don't have anyone they can bribe to model for them, happy pasting and painting :)
Karen and Rich